Birds Still at Rose Mem'l Park 1/12/12

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2012
      1/12/2012 -- The 1st winter, female BALTIMORE ORIOLE gave birders great looks
      in the eastern Banksia trees mid-late morning.  Two+ WESTERN TANAGERS were
      still present, as were the female YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, a NASHVILLE
      WARBLER and at least one female BULLOCK'S ORIOLE.  The Bullock's is quite
      vocal.
      It was nice to have Ollie Kolkmann, Bob Keiffer, Ryan Keiffer, Carolyn Kinet, Dorothy
      Tobkin, Richard Hubacek, David Flaim, and Jessica Morton (who arrived in the nick of
      time) with me - 9 total.
      Richard and Carolyn saw probably the second Nashville Warbler a short way east on
      the Skunk RR tracks.  After leaving the park, I saw an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER
      at the SW corner of Alder and Whipple Streets, Fort Bragg.

      1/11/12 - I was at the park from 1 to 4-pm, where I saw a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER
      in addition to the the Yellow-bellied, the Baltimore Oriole and 3-4 W Tanagers.

      The Baltimore Oriole consistently flies into the park over the Skunk tracks from the
      neighborhood to the south of the park.  She has only been seen in the four Banksias
      in the row next to the 2 most far east (by the eucalyptus trees).  Those 2 trees are in
      the shade most of the time and don't have many flowers.  The western Banksias host
      the sapsuckers and Nashvilles.  The tanagers can be anywhere in the park, which is at
      N Franklin and E Spruce, Fort Bragg.

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, MEN, California