dead GBH

  • kmarianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      Steve Smith, who lives here at Round Mountain, saw a dead GBH right
      next to Lake Pennyroyal a few days ago. He said one leg had been
      pulled out of its socket. It was somewhat bloody around the socket
      but otherwise didn't appear chewed on or otherwise marked by teeth. I
      don't think he studied it extremely closely, however. My theory is
      that a fairly large predator got hold of the foot and when the bird
      wrenched itself away the shoulder got dislocated.

      When Steve went back a day or so later there was no sign of it. I
      asked about drag marks and he didn't remember seeing any. The carcass
      is probably not too far off but I haven't had time to look.

      I am sad about it. We seemed to have a resident egret and heron who
      hobnobbed together a bit. It will be interesting to see if we
      continue to see herons here or if that was the only one.

      I saw a Sage Sparrow up on Cow Mountain the other day. Also saw a
      California Thrasher.