Tanagers at FB cemetery

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2012
      10 January 2012 (Tuesday) - Continuing at the Rose Memorial Cemetery in
      Fort Bragg (end of Spruce Street) are the Baltimore and Bullock's
      Orioles and the Nashville Warbler. New additions are at least two
      Tanagers, which another birder identified as Summer Tanager. At least
      one of them looked more like a Western to me - it had wing-bars and a
      pale yellow bill (I briefly thought I was looking at an American
      Goldfinch). The Tanagers were very actively foraging in the Banksia
      trees and frequently flew from tree to tree.

      In addition to the above, the Banksias were full of other birds:
      Townsend's and Yellow-rumped Warblers, Pygmy Nuthatches, Anna's
      Hummingbirds, and occasional Starlings and Robins. The other birder
      present had seen both Red-Breasted and Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers flying
      between the Banksias and the Eucalyptus.

      Not bad for 45 minutes of birding.

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      Albion
    • Lisa Walker (Feather)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2012
        I decided to head over to the cemetery this morning and see what I could find. I managed a shot of at least one of the tanagers, which did indeed, appear to be a Western (black and white wing bars). Another bird was a bit more elusive; but appeared to be oriole-like at least in flight, and was a subtle olive green with slightly darker wings (very slightly)- making me think of the female Bullock's I photographed outside my window back in 2000 or so. (those photos are in my album on the group page).

        I managed a shot of a Yellow-rumped Warbler, and was able to see:

        (European Starlings)
        Townsend's Warblers
        American Robins
        Bushtits (??? - maybe Ruby-crowned Kinglets? Flocking and gathering together on branches reminded me of Bushtits, anyway)
        Pygmy Nuthatch (at least one)

        I wish I had had someone else with me. Perhaps next week, if someone wants to go in the morning, say, of next Wed, you would let me know?

        Lisa (Feather)