watefowl abounds at Little Lake Valley

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2012
      8 January 2012 - Marisela de Santa Anna telephoned me last evening to tell me that Little Lake Valley - north end (Willits) is flooded due to a beaver dam at the outlet of Baechtel Creek. The flooded north end of the valley has attracted quantities of waterfowl ... more than Marisela can recall in past winters. She saw at least two Eurasian Wigeon, many American Wigeon, along with Canvasback, Green-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal ... and heard reports of high numbers of Canada/Cackling Geese. She is hoping that someone else can do some scoping and really check out the species and numbers. Keep in mind that beavers are very rare in Mendocino County also.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer