possible Ross's Goose

  • Jeff Petit
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
      Hi,
      Yesterday afternoon we saw a small white goose with black wing tips feeding with mallards (about the same size as them) in the pond on the east side of Garcia flats, just before the straightaway going south.  We're going back today with the scope to confirm and will report later.

      Happy New Year,
      Beth and Jeff

    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
        Beth & Jeff, There was a Ross's Goose in the vicinity on the CBC on December 30th. It will be useful to know how long it stays there.

        Yesterday afternoon we saw a small white goose with black wing tips feeding with mallards (about the same size as them) in the pond on the east side of Garcia flats, just before the straightaway going south. We're going back today with the scope to confirm and will report later.

        Happy New Year,
        Beth and Jeff

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Lisa Walker (Feather)
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
          I think I saw one on December 30th at the cliffs above Glass Beach in Fort Bragg, foraging with our resident flock of Canada Geese. I will post a photo that I got (through the fence, and a bit blurry, showing its back) on the site soon.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
            Fri., Jan 6. - Lisa, the possible Ross's Goose you saw may be same goose (positively id'd as a Ross's by Toby Tobkin) that we saw on the GP property during the Fort Bragg CBC. Ours was near one of the ponds, but foraging by itself. Perhaps it got lonely?

            Carolyn Kinet
            Inglenook