Fort Bragg CBC

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
      Preliminary tally from yesterday's Count is 147 species. Of those, 133
      were on the list, and 11 were unexpected rarities.

      More than 70 people took part, and over 40 of those attended the Count
      Dinner, where we found a warm hall, hot pizza, and salad fresh from
      Angela's garden! We were a happy bunch of birders, excited to share our
      results and hear what others had found.

      Many thanks to everyone involved, especially to Angela and Julie for
      taking care of the hall and dinner, and the Area Leaders for managing
      all those people and all that territory.

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      CAFB Compiler
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
        That should be thanks to Angela and JUDY!

        Tim
        ...perhaps a little tired this morning...

        On 1/3/2012 9:13 AM, AlbionWood wrote:
        > Preliminary tally from yesterday's Count is 147 species. Of those, 133
        > were on the list, and 11 were unexpected rarities.
        >
        > More than 70 people took part, and over 40 of those attended the Count
        > Dinner, where we found a warm hall, hot pizza, and salad fresh from
        > Angela's garden! We were a happy bunch of birders, excited to share our
        > results and hear what others had found.
        >
        > Many thanks to everyone involved, especially to Angela and Julie for
        > taking care of the hall and dinner, and the Area Leaders for managing
        > all those people and all that territory.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Tim Bray
        > CAFB Compiler
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 23, 2012
          Saturday 22 December 2012 - Highlights of the Fort Bragg Christmas Bird
          Count included Yellow-Headed Blackbird, Black-Headed Grosbeak,
          Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Nashville Warbler, Redhead, and Heermann's Gull,
          as well as many other excellent birds. Provisional total for the day was
          144 species, quite a respectable tally under the circumstances.

          Many, many thanks to the Area Leaders and all the dedicated folks who
          showed up in spite of the unpromising weather. (We did catch a nice break
          of dry weather and even some sunshine, from about 5:30 AM until after
          noon.) The cheerful mood at the Count Dinner was marvelous.

          Cheers,
          Tim Bray
          CAFB Compiler

        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 22, 2013
            Our tally at the Count Dinner last night was 148 species (not 165 as I
            mistakenly announced). While we were cleaning up, Mike Stephens came in
            to report a Barred Owl; and today I got verbal reports of 3 more
            species, including two from a feeder-watcher, so if those are confirmed
            we will be at 152.

            Rare/unusual birds included:
            Eurasian Wigeon, Lake Cleone
            Black-and-white Warbler, Lake Cleone (photographed)
            Bullock's Oriole, Rose Memorial (stakeout bird)
            Green Heron, Ocean Lake pond
            Black-footed Albatross, 4.5 miles offshore

            Count Week total is 155 so far, including the Bittern, Redheads, and
            Dunlin reported by R. Hubacek on Friday (Dunlin re-found today by D.
            Tobkin).

            Big thanks to the Area Leaders for getting their teams together and
            covering their territories so thoroughly, to K. Havlena for reserving
            the boat, and all the participants for making this Count so successful.
            Special thanks to J. Steele and A. Liebenberg for running the best-yet
            Count Dinner!

            Cheers,
            Tim Bray
            CAFB Compiler
          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2014
              Believe it or not, the Christmas Bird Count season starts in less than 2
              months! The Fort Bragg CBC falls on Saturday December 20 this year.

              E-mail me if you are planning to join us, or if you have questions. If
              you participated last year and want to re-join the same team, just get
              in touch with whoever led your Area.

              Last year was epic, and I have high hopes for this one as well. See you
              at the Count Dinner!

              Cheers,
              Tim Bray
              CAFB Compiler
            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 15, 2015
                The 5th Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count will be held on SUNDAY December 27, 2015.

                A map of the Circle, with Area boundaries and contact information for the Area Leaders, can be found here:
                http://g.co/maps/4fd2p
                Feel free to contact any of the Leaders directly to join a team, or contact me if you don't know where you would like to bird.  We can use more birders!

                We will have teams birding in almost every conceivable way, and there are teams open for anyone regardless of experience level.

                Count Dinner will be held at the Caspar Community Center, which will be open from about 4 PM.  Salad and lasagne will be provided; please bring your own utensils, to save us the trouble of washing-up.

                More information, including downloadable Checklists, can be found at the Mendocino Coast Audubon Society website:
                http://mendocinocoastaudubon.org/

                Hope you can join us!
                Tim Bray
                CAFB Compiler

              • Tim Bray
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 26, 2015
                  Tomorrow (Sunday) is the Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count.  Perversely, the weather forecast calls for 60% chance of rain starting at 11 AM... the only moisture in 10 days.
                  So, bird like mad in the morning!

                  Caspar Community Center will be open from about 4 PM.  Hot food will be ready around 5.  Please bring your own eating utensils if you can, to make cleanup easier.

                  Count Week started Thursday and runs through Wednesday, so please report any good sightings to me, or post them here, or on eBird.

                  Manchester count is next Saturday Jan. 2 (no rain).
                  --
                  Cheers,
                  Tim