Summer Tanager

  • Arthur Morley
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
      On today's Fort Bragg CBC there was a female Summer Tanager seen at the corner of Pearl Drive and Boice Lane. Pearl Drive goes east from Hwy 1 about 2 miles south of the Botanical Garden and just north of the Pine Beach Inn motel. Boice Lane intersects Pearl Dr. about .5 mile east of Hwy l.

      The bird was seen by 6 observers for about 10 minutes in clear view.

      Art Morley 964-2541

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
        Preliminary tally from yesterday's Count is 147 species. Of those, 133
        were on the list, and 11 were unexpected rarities.

        More than 70 people took part, and over 40 of those attended the Count
        Dinner, where we found a warm hall, hot pizza, and salad fresh from
        Angela's garden! We were a happy bunch of birders, excited to share our
        results and hear what others had found.

        Many thanks to everyone involved, especially to Angela and Julie for
        taking care of the hall and dinner, and the Area Leaders for managing
        all those people and all that territory.

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
        CAFB Compiler
      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
          That should be thanks to Angela and JUDY!

          Tim
          ...perhaps a little tired this morning...

          On 1/3/2012 9:13 AM, AlbionWood wrote:
          > Preliminary tally from yesterday's Count is 147 species. Of those, 133
          > were on the list, and 11 were unexpected rarities.
          >
          > More than 70 people took part, and over 40 of those attended the Count
          > Dinner, where we found a warm hall, hot pizza, and salad fresh from
          > Angela's garden! We were a happy bunch of birders, excited to share our
          > results and hear what others had found.
          >
          > Many thanks to everyone involved, especially to Angela and Julie for
          > taking care of the hall and dinner, and the Area Leaders for managing
          > all those people and all that territory.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Tim Bray
          > CAFB Compiler
        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2012
            Saturday 22 December 2012 - Highlights of the Fort Bragg Christmas Bird
            Count included Yellow-Headed Blackbird, Black-Headed Grosbeak,
            Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Nashville Warbler, Redhead, and Heermann's Gull,
            as well as many other excellent birds. Provisional total for the day was
            144 species, quite a respectable tally under the circumstances.

            Many, many thanks to the Area Leaders and all the dedicated folks who
            showed up in spite of the unpromising weather. (We did catch a nice break
            of dry weather and even some sunshine, from about 5:30 AM until after
            noon.) The cheerful mood at the Count Dinner was marvelous.

            Cheers,
            Tim Bray
            CAFB Compiler

          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 22, 2013
              Our tally at the Count Dinner last night was 148 species (not 165 as I
              mistakenly announced). While we were cleaning up, Mike Stephens came in
              to report a Barred Owl; and today I got verbal reports of 3 more
              species, including two from a feeder-watcher, so if those are confirmed
              we will be at 152.

              Rare/unusual birds included:
              Eurasian Wigeon, Lake Cleone
              Black-and-white Warbler, Lake Cleone (photographed)
              Bullock's Oriole, Rose Memorial (stakeout bird)
              Green Heron, Ocean Lake pond
              Black-footed Albatross, 4.5 miles offshore

              Count Week total is 155 so far, including the Bittern, Redheads, and
              Dunlin reported by R. Hubacek on Friday (Dunlin re-found today by D.
              Tobkin).

              Big thanks to the Area Leaders for getting their teams together and
              covering their territories so thoroughly, to K. Havlena for reserving
              the boat, and all the participants for making this Count so successful.
              Special thanks to J. Steele and A. Liebenberg for running the best-yet
              Count Dinner!

              Cheers,
              Tim Bray
              CAFB Compiler
            • AlbionWood
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2014
                Believe it or not, the Christmas Bird Count season starts in less than 2
                months! The Fort Bragg CBC falls on Saturday December 20 this year.

                E-mail me if you are planning to join us, or if you have questions. If
                you participated last year and want to re-join the same team, just get
                in touch with whoever led your Area.

                Last year was epic, and I have high hopes for this one as well. See you
                at the Count Dinner!

                Cheers,
                Tim Bray
                CAFB Compiler