Barred Owl - 11/30

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      Saturday night David Nelson and I visited Montgomery Woods to see if the
      BARRED OWLS are still there. We heard the first BAOW on the hillside to
      the south of the footbridge just after leaving the parking lot. We both
      thought the bird sounded like an immature that was still learning to
      call. We continued up over the hill and down into the main grove using
      the tape periodically but heard nothing. Finally we continued on to the
      southeast portion of the loop trail to the grove (I've forgotten the
      name) where I think the BAOW nest was located this past spring. At this
      location we had two BAOWs respond very loudly to the tape.

      Either the first owl we heard followed us quietly and only vocalized
      once we got deep into the Woods or we heard three birds. Given the
      location and the difference in quality of the calls, I think we had
      three birds, possibly a mated pair and an immature fledged this past
      spring.

      Good Owling
      Matthew Matthiessen