Almost Final Clear Lake CBC Results (LAKE)

  • dhecomovich
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2011
      Thanks to all 55 birders that participated in the Clear Lake Count for
      their time and hard work in ferreting out a total of 147 birds (subject
      to slight adjustment awaiting some final reports). The 147 total number
      of species is a few birds higher than what we've had the past three
      years but down from our all-time high of 153 birds in 2007. Fifty-five
      matches our all-time highest number of participants of two years ago and
      this year included four birders from St. Helena, one from Santa Rosa,
      and three Lower Lake High School students plus all the good dedicated
      birders of Lake County.

      Some species of particular interest include several
      Barrows'Goldeneye, both Bald and Golden Eagles, Canyon Wren,
      Townsend's Solitaire, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Black-throated Gray
      Warbler, and Lawrence's Goldfinch which made its sixth appearance on
      our CBC with an all-time high of 47 birds. The RuddyDuck garnered the
      highest number of individuals with an all-time high count of 4,823.

      A couple of species we were sorry to miss were the Osprey and the
      Yellow-billed Magpie. We normally get 1 or 2 Osprey for the Count but
      not this year. The numbers of Magpies on the Count have been declining
      for the past half-dozen years, and this year's miss is the second
      year in a row that we've have had no Magpie on the Count.

      Good Birding to all in 2012!

      Darlene Hecomovich

      Clear Lake Count Compiler

      Cobb, CA