Mendocino Co. 12/1

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi all,
      I spent Sunday making a big loop through Mendocino Co. Nothing rare but some
      interesting things.
      I stopped to scope the ocean south of Pt. Arena and saw lots of Pacific Loons
      moving south as well as 8-10 N. Fulmars. Ten Great Egrets standing on
      floating kelp seemed interesting.
      At Pt. Arena there were 2 Willets, 6 Oystercatchers and 90 Black Turnstones.
      The albatross with the imaginative name was a no-show while I was there.
      The Sandhill Crane was still present on the flats at Garcia though I didn't
      see either Rough-legged or Ferruginous Hawks.
      Hunter's Lagoon had 3 female Hooded Mergansers.
      I didn't see much at Lake Davis but offshore I saw more fulmars as well as a
      single Marbled Murrelet, 2 Rhino Auklets, several Red Phalaropes, a pair of
      Black Scoters and quite a few more Fulmars.
      A flock of 200+ Tricolored Blackbirds were along Hwy 1 at mile 23.50.
      Heading inland I took Hwy 128 and then 253 towards Ukiah. A quick stop about
      a mile down the road at an obvious spot yielded 2 Rock Wrens.
      Along Burris Lane in Potter Valley there was a single Say's Phoebe (needed
      that!) and at least 3 Lewis's Woodpeckers. The pond at the end of the road
      had lots of Am. Wigeon and Ring-necked Ducks but nothing out-of-place.
      A quick scoping from the dam area of Lake (puddle, really) Mendocino produced
      18 Hooded Mergansers and single Snow and Ross's Geese in with the Canadas.
      Good birding,
      Steve

      Steve Glover
      Dublin