Horned Grebes MacKerricher Cove

  • birdmanofthewoods3
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2011
      I've been watching HORNED GREBES doing similtaneous dives out in the cove at MacKerricher cove in Mackerricher park for some years now, but today saw the biggest flock(?)ever do a synchonous dive. I would estimate the tightly packed perfect circle at 30 feet wide and containing eighty to a hundred birds. On some unseen signal, all the birds dive in a giant gulp.

      I'm guessing that these birds are cooperatively hunting under the waves using some sort of netting behavior. However, my research does not show any data or underwater observations on this behavior. Therefore, I propose that we outfit Ron LeValley with a wetsuit, scuba tanks and cameras and send him out there to find out just what these grebes are doing down there.

      Happy Solstice!

      Rick Harris