Ukiah CBC preliminary results

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2011
      Tuesday - 20 December 2011 - Here are some preliminary results and highlights from last Saturday's Ukiah CBC. First of all, thanks to all of the participants and Area Leaders for a great job done by all! We have not tallied everything up yet, but based upon our quick compilation dinner results we had 133 species. This is the SECOND highest on record, a few down from the 2010 high-count results of 138 species. A few highlights include: At least one Greater White-fronted Goose; probably over 100 Hooded Mergansers, very few Lesser Scaup, Mountain Quail (heard), ALL of the grebe species possible, a couple of Green Herons (normally gone for the winter), a surprise disappearance of the Black-crowned Night-Heron roost on Yosemite/Washo near Oak Manor, a probable high number of American Coots, Least Sandpipers, Thayer's Gull at Lake Mendocino, all of the expected normal owl species, a high count of Belted Kingfishers due to the new "Kayak Crew" that floated 15 miles on the Russian River, Tree Swallows (normally gone for the winter), and good luck with our more difficult sparrows such as Rufous-crowned, Lark, and White-throated. A Black-headed Grosbeak was found ...that is four birds in the last five years (they are normally gone,gone for the winter). Two ring-necked Pheasants were found ... one deemed "wild" upon review of the facts, and one deemed "captive recently released".

      We had cool but clear weather the entire day and a great turnout of participants. I sincerely hope that all had a great time and learned a few identification tricks along the way. Also, thanks to all of the landowners that provided access onto their properties.

      Good Birding. Bob Keiffer & Cheryl Watson.