Red-naped Sapsucker at Mendocino College on Saturday

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2011
      Yesterday at 3:45 I found a Red-naped Sapsucker in a large oak at the northwest corner of the football field. To get to the college, go north of Ukiah on N State St and turn left on Hensley Cr Rd. Park in the NW corner of the parking lot just down the stairs from the tennis courts. Go up the stairs and proceed west on the north end of the tennis courts and the football stadium. I saw the Sapsucker before I got to the end of the tennis courts. Continue west between the stadium fence and the bushes up the hill (there is about a 2 ft opening). When you come out on top there is a large oak leaning to the west with a lot of mistletoe. It is about 20 yards north of the fence. This is a 2nd fence north of the stadium fence. It is also down the hill and ENE of the large water tank. When I got close to the tree it flew off. I hiked down to the south end of the football field and planned on hiking back to see if it returned. When I got down to the south end, I saw all of the birds fleeing the area. And when I got back to the sapsucker tree there was an adult Cooper's Hawk in the next oak over, so no 2nd chance this time.

      Dave Bengston, Ukiah