Hooded Mergansers at Beckstoffer's Pond/Cacklers & Strange Goose at Gielow

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2011
      Yesterday (Thursday), I went down River Road south of Talmage to look at 5 of the ponds. At Beckstoffer's Pond, a little over a mile south of Talmage on the westside of the road were 37 Hooded Mergansers and 44 Ring-necked Ducks.

      At the Gielow Pond (intersection of Gielow Rd & River Rd) a little further south again on the west side, there were 2 Cackling Geese (no neck rings) with 132 Canada Geese. Also present was a hybrid goose. I thought at first it was a leucistic Canada until it stood up and I saw the bright orange legs. The beak was black like a Canada Goose and the tail was white tipped like a White-fronted Goose. The forehead was white along with most of the face to above the eyes, and the front and sides of the neck. The only black on the head was on the top and streaked black down the back of the neck kind of like a dark Snow-Goose. The breast was tan but only back as far as the junction of the wings. The entire belly from the tail up to the front of the wings was white. The wings, back and breast were the color of a typical Canada Goose. It was the same size and shape as a Canada Goose and was in with the main flock. I did not have a camera.

      Dave Bengston, Ukiah