Black-vented Shearwater - 11/28

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2002
      On Thanksgiving morning I spent spent an hour doing a seawatch at Laguna
      Point. The weather was warm, the wind was slight, and the sea was calm.
      Best bird was a BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER that flew by at relatively
      close range (app. 250 m) offering excellent extended looks. Other birds
      of interest were one ROCK SANDPIPER on the rock near the observation
      platform before the Point itself and seven ANCIENT MURRELETS (three
      fly-bys and four on the surface). Loons are still making an impressive
      showing. I performed one 15 minute count and had 715 loons of three
      species (703 pacific, 11 red-throated, and 1 common).

      There were still 12 HARLEQUIN DUCKS at Glass beach.

      - Matthew Matthiessen