be alert for snowy owls

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2011
      3 December 2011 - My brother-in-law just found a Snowy Owl in southern Idaho last evening ... and if you check out the eBird website http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/got-snowies you will see that the 48-states are in for an "irruption year" (winter) for snowy owls ...that is when a fair number of them winter much further south than normal usually due to a crash in the lemming population. They have already been found far south along the east coast (see the eBird map) ... and this could very much happen along our west coast. In Mendocino County we do not have any historical records ...but there are past records for both Humboldt and Sonoma Counties. Places to keep a close-eye on this winter are the Dunes at MacKerricher State Park (Cleone to Ten Mile) and the Manchester State Beach area. Of course, anywhere along the coastal bench is possible. Also a Emperor Goose was reported at Point Reyes on Nov 27 ...so another species to keep an eye out for along our coast.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer