Harris's Sparrow

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
      1 December 2011 - Thursday - Karen Havlena reports that an immature Harris's Sparrow showed up this morning at their yard at Oceanside (just north of Ten Mile River). She and Jim saw it briefly though their window ... but they have some construction wok going on right now and the yard/house is in a bit a disarray and have not been able to relocate it yet. They have a local flock of crowned-sparrows that they feed regularly, and they are hoping that the Harris's Sparrow settles in with the flock and stays for a while. If they refind the bird they will post it. If you have a huge desire to search for this bird you should call Karen at 707-972-5440 (cell). Posted for Karen by Bob Keiffer. Good birding.

    • Sandberg, Stephen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 9, 2014
        A juvenile Harris's Sparrow visited my feeder in residential Fort Bragg today, January 9th.  If you are interested in the photos I took, please let me know.

        Regards,

        Steve Sandberg
        Fort Bragg, CA
      • todd.lancer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 15, 2014
          Wed, 15 January 2014 The immature HARRIS'S SPARROW was observed again this afternoon at my feeder in residential Fort Bragg.

          /Steve Sandberg
        • Robert Keiffer
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
            12 February 2014 - Wednesday - Today, Scott Harris from Willits found a Harris's Sparrow that is searchable by others. It is in an area where the city of Willits has cleared a bunch of blackberries and they are still in piles ...and some blackberries are still left. The location is on the edge of Broadus (spelling?) Creek, and is just about 400 feet south of the Skunk Railroad Depot. I cannot post the photos here, but one of Scott's photos shows an aqua-blue house in the background, with the bird perched atop a limby brush pile.... This may be a good reference for searching for it. Posted for Scott Harris by Bob keiffer, Hopland rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

            [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
            Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
            4070 University Rd.
            Hopland, CA 95449
            707-744-1424 ext. 112
            Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2014
              I birded the area mentioned above today from 4pm to 4:35 pm and right as I was about to leave at 4:35 pm the Harris's Sparrow jumped up in the open. I was able to get a couple pics at the link below. Thanks Scott and Bob for the post.

            • stevestump
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 13, 2014
                Sorry I forgot name and time. Steve Stump @ 5:15 pm
              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2014
                  Fri, 14 Feb 2014 -- After failing to find the HARRIS'S SPARROW yesterday, I
                  went back today a little later (10:10-11:05) to look again. Jack Booth was
                  there ahead of me. We saw the bird sitting high in the back brush pile
                  about 10:25. After a bit, it retired deep into the center of the pile. At
                  10:40 I saw it again briefly as it returned from the far side of the creek
                  and went deep into the same pile again.
                  The location in Willits is easy to find along the tracks between
                  Commercial Street and E. Valley Street. About 400 feet S. of the Skunk
                  Train Depot are some piles of cut brush between the tracks and Broaddus
                  Creek in roughly three heaps. Both of my sightings this morning were in the
                  heap furthest from the tracks. The bird likes the deep center of the pile.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                • stevestump
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 14, 2014
                    2-14-14 1338
                     I submitted "Stakeout Harris's Sparrow" as a hotspot for those interested in entering the bird on eBird. Thanks Steve Stump