Cattle Egret in Mendocino

  • albionwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2011
      Friday 12 November 2011 - While showing off the resident Peregrine Falcon perched on Goat Rock off the north end of the Mendocino Headlands, I noticed a white bird among a group of Cormorants and Brown Pelicans roosting on a nearby rock. This turned out to be a small egret, actively foraging around the rocks among the other birds. Small, stocky, with a short thick yellow bill and black legs, and a relatively short neck, this Cattle Egret was quite a surprise.