Awesome day on Clear Lake!

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2011
      I spent today counting waterbirds from a motorboat with John Sterling and Bryan McIntosh along the entire perimeter of Clear Lake. We found three rare gulls. John found a subadult dark-backed gull that appears to be a VEGA GULL or SLATY-BACKED GULL (we're analyzing our photos), sitting out on the water far from shore a couple of miles north of Lakeport. Bryan and I found an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL on the docks at Redbud Park in Clearlake. And Bryan found a 3rd-cycle LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL on a piling along the southern fringe of Lakeport.

      On the lagoon side of the boat launch at Oaks Beach Park John found a RED-NECKED GREBE and then I found a second beside it. I later found a third on the north side of Buckingham Point. John found a PACIFIC LOON off the beach at the south end of Clear Lake State Park and I found a second nearby. I found a female SURF SCOTER and John found three BARROW'S GOLDENEYES at the south end of Indian Island, just north of Anderson Marsh.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2011
        I forgot to mention that we also had a female RED-BREASTED MERGANSER at Glenhaven. I posted the gull photos in a Calgulls album titled "Clear Lake, Lake County, 11-21-11." Tomorrow I'll try to post them to a Mendobirds album for those of you who don't subscribe to Calgulls.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA
      • Floyd Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2011
          I just posted several photos in a Mendobirds album titled "Clear Lake 11-21-11":

          * Photos 1 and 2: Odd dark-backed gull at Lakeport: what we thought was a Vega or Slaty-backed Gull now appears to be an odd WESTERN X GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL with a very bright iris, slight head streaking and a string of pearls on the primaries. But the big, bulbous bill and yellow-pink orbital ring are more consistent with Western Gull. We were puzzled by it all day!

          * Photo 3: Adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Clearlake.

          * Photos 4-5: 3rd-cycle LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Lakeport.

          * Photo 6: Hybrid ICELAND X CALIFORNIA GULL at Clearlake! Okay, it isn't really a hybrid, but you'll enjoy seeing it. It's a partially amelanistic CALIFORNIA GULL that I first found at Walmart on 30 October.

          * Photo 7: Two RED-NECKED GREBES at Clearlake Oaks.

          * Photo 8: Female SURF SCOTER between Anderson Marsh and Indian Island (unfortunately overexposed; John Sterling has much better photos).

          Floyd Hayes
          Hidden Valley Lake, CA