South Mendo Coast - 11/24

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2002
      Yesterday morning I ran back over to the south Mendo coast to try and
      turn up one of the Rough-legged Hawks reported from there last week. On
      the drive over Mountain View Rd I saw one BLUE GROUSE beside the road.

      At Garcia Flats, the SANDHILL CRANE was still present. This time I
      heard it vocalize for the first time. I searched the Flats from Hwy 1
      and from Miner Hole Rd and was about to give up hope when a ROUGH-LEGGED
      HAWK finally soared out from behind the escarpment on the south side of
      Miner Hole Rd. The bird was rather elusive allowing only a brief look.
      After much searching I relocated it hoving over the fields on the east
      side of Hwy 1 across from Miner Hole Rd. Also on the Flats was a
      PEREGRINE FALCON. Still no swans.

      "Al' the LAYSAN ALBATROSS was sitting in the Point Arena harbor just off
      the north side of the pier. In the fields along Stoneboro Rd was one
      FERRUGINOUS HAWK. At Hunter's Lagoon there was another PEREGRINE FALCON
      and a RED-NECKED GREBE. From the Lagoon I was able to scope Brushy
      Creek and found one male EURASIAN WIGEON.

      - Matthew Matthiessen