Sandhill Crane - 11/23

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2002
      This afternoon Gary and Judy Maddox and I saw the SANDHILL CRANE at
      Garcia Flats at about 1515. The bird was along the fenceline midway out
      in the field northwest of the Hwy 1 pullout. We searched without
      success for the Rough-legged Hawks reported from there earlier in the
      week.

      We then did some scoping from the bluffs just south of the Point Arena
      lighthouse. There were dozens of NORTHERN FULMARS far out from shore.
      I also got an extended look at a FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL fairly close
      to shore flying north.

      At the Point Arena Harbor at 1630 "Al" the LAYSAN ALBATROSS was sitting
      on the water a couple hundred yards out from the end of the pier.

      - Matthew Matthiessen