Hooded Mergansers at Beckstoffer's Pond

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2011
      I went down to Beckstoffer's pond today. Present were 7 Hooded Mergansers, 4M & 3F. They were accompanied by a dozen Ring-necked Ducks. I have not been around for a month, so I did not know if this was common knowledge or how long they have been here.

      Hooded Mergansers have been a common resident in the winter of this pond for a few years now.

      For those that do not know, Beckstoffer's pond is on the west side of River Road just about a mile or so, south of the Talmage Rd./River Road intersection.

      Dave Bengston, Ukiah
    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 16, 2011
        I saw one at Lake Pennyroyal yesterday. First of the year.

        Kate

        On Nov 15, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Dave wrote:

        > I went down to Beckstoffer's pond today. Present were 7 Hooded Mergansers, 4M & 3F. They were accompanied by a dozen Ring-necked Ducks. I have not been around for a month, so I did not know if this was common knowledge or how long they have been here.
        >
        > Hooded Mergansers have been a common resident in the winter of this pond for a few years now.
        >
        > For those that do not know, Beckstoffer's pond is on the west side of River Road just about a mile or so, south of the Talmage Rd./River Road intersection.
        >
        > Dave Bengston, Ukiah

        Kate Marianchild, nature writer
        Currently researching and writing
        Secrets of the Oak Woodlands, a book