Burrowing Owl

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
      Tue, 08 Nov 2011 -- Tuesday morning there was a BURROWING OWL sitting on a
      rock north of the knoll at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley. It was
      at a distance, and it took a scope to distinguish it from the kestrels,
      groundsquirrels and meadowlarks which also like these perches. An adult
      GOLDEN EAGLE appeared close overhead, but it took it 20 minutes to appear
      rather than the 15 minutes which I have promised before.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 14, 2011
        Mon, 14 Nov 2011 -- Yesterday Cuck Vaughn and I found a BURROWING OWL again
        in the same general area as before sitting out on a rock at about 11:00.
        Today I saw the bird on the same rock at about 15:00. The rock in question
        is a pointed, triangular rock about 1/2 mi to the NNE. Needless to say, a
        scope is necessary.
        Today the Golden Eagle landed on a grassy hillside close to a group of
        Tule Elk. The elk alerted on it and began to move away quickly. That was a
        surprise to me.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        > Tue, 08 Nov 2011 -- Tuesday morning there was a BURROWING OWL sitting on a
        > rock north of the knoll at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley.
      • Jerry White
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 27, 2012
          The location for the BURROWING OWL; take Butts Canyon Road off of Highway 29 which is just north of Middletown. Drive to Callayomi Rd (a dirt road) which goes south off of Butts Canyon Rd. Go to the first residence (address 21751) and look to dirt mounds across the road. The bird was standing on the side of one of those mounds about 11:15 AM yesterday. This bird was first discovered by Dave Woodward on Tuesday the 23rd. Jerry White

        • birdmanofthewoods4
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
            For those of you who don't get Ron LeValley's pictures and might not know, there is a BURROWING OWL along the Fort Bragg haul road just south of Ward Avenue in MacKerricker Park. Quite easy to find. I found it about 1/4 mile south of Ward Avenue. It was moving from the iceplant on the east side of the road to the piles of logs on the west, ocean side.

          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 25

              1/25/15 450pm

              This afternoon there was a Burrowing Owl on Pine Ave. Potter Valley. It was 7/10th of a mile up the road between a large blue storage container and a single wide mobile home( both off the road to the North). The owl was spotted easily with binoculars on a large red dirt mound near the base of the mound. There were several ground squirrels running around on the mound. Tricolored Blackbirds have been seen in this area just past the mobile home also. Photo on Flickr

              https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/16182241417/