baseline goose count at CroFoot's

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2011
      7 November 2011, I am reporting this just to establish a "baseline" goose count at the Crofoot Ranch along Highway 101 (east side with white fence and cattle and llamas) between Hopland and Ukiah. This is a favorite pasture for Canada Geese to use throughout the winter/spring daytime hours. Yesterday (7th) there were 65 Canada Geese of the Great Basin subspecies (Branta Canadensis moffitti) and 3 Cackling Geese of the Aleutian subspecies (Branta hutchinsii leucopareia). The Canada Geese tend to be a resident population that breeds mostly near farm ponds in the local area .... but the flock tends to draw in occasional migratory birds such as the Cackling, Snow, Ross's, and Greater white-fronts... or other forms of the Canada Goose. So, it is worth watching throughout the winter.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer.