Ten Mile River Birds

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
      Sun, 16 Oct, 2011 -- A "tan-stripe" White-throated Sparrow and a
      Black-throated Gray Warbler were along the Ten Mile logging road
      on the south side of Ten Mile River this morning.  Prior to leaving
      Ocean Meadows neighborhood, 5 imm Greater White-fronted Geese
      were trying to sit down on the road.  I nudged them aside.

      I also walked a short way east on the Skunk RR Tracks, where
      only Steller's Jays made their presence known.  Then, I went to
      the Mendocino Headlands SP to look for longspurs, but only
      Savannah Sparrows were around.  Better luck next time.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Cal

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14, 2014
        Fri, 14 March 2014 -- I had about 45 minutes to myself this morning, and being encouraged by recent eBird reports, I drove up the road on starting on the south side of Ten Mile river.  Two Greater Yellowlegs foraged just east of the Hwy 1 bridge.  East at the old, low bridge at the confluence of the river's two forks, was a wide variety of species, with a pair of Wood Ducks even further up the north fork in a small pond near the river.  Three Orange-crowned Warblers were the only singing warblers, although a flock of Yellow-rumps worked through the willows.

        Karen Havlena
        North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca