Vishnu's Merlin

  • kmarianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2002
      I walked out the door of my yurt at Round Mountain on Sunday morning
      (11/17) and saw a raptor on the upper dead branch of a fir tree about
      50 feet away. A maelstrom of feathers were drifting away as it jabbed
      at a bird in its talons. I watched as it got down to red flesh. After
      about 10 minutes it flew directly over my head toward the north.
      After exhaustive searching of bird books I determined it had to have
      been a Merlin. I imagine it's the same one Vishnu saw.

      I'm going to Fort Bragg tomorrow and am going to look for the snow
      bunting on Thursday. Hope it's still there.