Red Tailed Hawk vs. Turkey Vulture

  • birdmanofthewoods3
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2011
      I've always wondered what actually eats turkey vultures and might have gotten an answer today. For some reason (things were slow), I was watching a turkey vulture trying to catch a thermal over the ridge by Big River today when a brown blur shot down out the sky and barely missed the vulture. It was a red-tailed hawk in a full wings folded stoop which barely missed and only a side slip a the last moment by the vulture saved a bone crunching collision. It seemed to come from nowhere and surprised me almost as much as it did the vulture.

      This could have been an instance of a bored or irritated red-tailed hawk hassleing a vulture, but it looked pretty serious to me and I think the bird was actually going for the vulture.

      In other sightings: First yellow-rumped warbler of the season! Welcome home YRW.

      Rick Harris