sandhill crane/R-L Hawk

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2002
      19 Nov. 2002 This morning I arrived at Garcia Flats at 0900 and
      immediately saw the lone Sandhill Crane from the Highway 1 pullout near the
      guard rail just north of Miners Hole Road. The crane was out in the
      middle in the recently plowed/leveled field. Close by were two Great Blue
      herons. After a short while the crane ended up (flew?) in the permanent
      pasture on the south side of the fence working its way across the field
      with a GBHE. The crane was easily viewed from Miners Hole Road at this
      point ... but still a ways out there (a scope helps). The whole while
      there was a beautiful Rough-legged Hawk sometimes perched on fence posts,
      sometimes working the fields... even hovering once in a while.

      No swans were present as of yet. No sign of "Al" the Laysan Albatross at
      Point Arena Cove either.

      A Peregrine Falcon was atop the large pointed island (almost an island) off
      the Vista pullout just north of Irish Beach.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road