Interesting Birds at the Little River Airport

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2011
      Sat Oct 1, 2011--It was an interesting day at the Little River Airport this morning. First off was a calling SAY'S PHOEBE near the terminal(sic) building and hangers. This was a new bird for the airport list and since I consider the airport my backyard also a new yard bird. A little later a single VAUX'S SWIFT flew over. It's getting late for them to be here. This was only the second record for them at the airport. A few winter birds showed up, a TOWNSEND'S WARBLER a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, and a GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW. On the way back the 20% chance of rain started. While getting wet I found a small flock of birds that included a WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE(getting late in the season for them)that was a first Fall record. At that moment 150 plus GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flew over.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River