Dickcissel seen Sunday, Sept. 25th

  • jackson_us
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2011
      A sighting just came in about a Dickcissel spotted on Sunday, 9/25/11. I vetted these women with two of my go-to birder experts, Diane Hichwa and Richard Kuehn. Their credentials as birders are great so I thought you'd like to know. Here's the sighting as received from Dianne Sierra.

      "Last weekend my partner, Chris Pattillo, and I had one of our Women's Birding Weekends at our cabin near Pt. Arena. On Sunday as we slowly headed up Stoneboro to look at the Thompson garden, we checked out the sparrows on the roadside fences. When we stopped for one, Betty Burridge exclaimed, "It's a Dickcissel!" Sure enough, it was a female, complete with a yellow triangle on her chest, a necklace of dark spots and reddish wing coverts. I think it's a Mendocino County first; it was a California first for us and a fitting end to a great weekend.

      Dianne Sierra

      Oakland"

      Rich Trissel confirmed this would be a first in our county for this bird. I subsequently asked if they got a photo but Dianne wrote she was so excited to see it that she forgot to get her phone camera out.

      Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay