Odd Goose Littleriver: Follow-up

  • birdmanofthewoods3
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2011
      The strange Canada goose on the Van Damme beach at Littleriver has now made news. Last seen walking down the sidewalk in Mendocino, I came across the following post on a local list serve. Non birders are beginning to notice...Who couldn't? Rick Harris

      Woodlands Wildlife has received a report of a Canada goose that is imprinted and
      extremely tame. It has been seen around for several weeks following
      people, flying behind cars trying to follow the people, flying after
      bicyclists, and begging food from people in Van Damme park Mendocino town.
      The bird was raised in captivity and someone just dumped it hoping it
      would enjoy freedom and figure out how to feed itself. It may be enjoying
      freedom, but it is living a very dangerous existence flying along the
      highway and walking around streets. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WINERY in an
      area away from the highway WITH A LARGE POND or DOES ANYONE HAVE A POND
      WITH OTHER DOMESTIC GEESE and people living nearby in an otherwise
      isolated area? It has been shown that putting it in with others of its
      kind, hoping it will adapt and turn wild is NOT successful, so we're
      hoping to find it a home with the people it seems to need and a big pond
      to enjoy. I will also be contacting petting zoos like Oakland, San
      Francisco, Monterey, Coyote Point, etc.