Continuing Sandhill Crane - 11/17

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2002
      Yesterday morning at 0830 Chuck Vaughn, Ollie Kolkman, and I were able
      to relocate the SANDHILL CRANE on the Garcia Flats. The bird was on the
      north side of the flats directly north of the Hwy 1 pulloff which is
      just north of Miner Hole Rd (just seeing how many times I can use the
      word "north" in one sentence). Also present on or around the flats were
      a MERLIN, a PEREGRINE FALCON, and a FERRUGINOUS HAWK.

      Further north were 12 HARLEQUIN DUCKS at Glass Beach. The ducks were
      all resting on a rock at the south end of the beach until some adult
      red-necks (of the (sub)human form) threw rocks at them till they
      disbursed out into the surf. When I asked why they threw the rocks they
      replied that they were "trying to get some lunch."

      As reported by Dennis Braddy, the Snow Bunting was not seen at Laguna
      Point by 1500 when I left but there were other birds of interest to keep
      us occupied. Also reported by Dennis Braddy were the four ROCK
      SANDPIPERS (three on Loafing Rock just north of the observation platform
      and one on the rocks south of the platform), dozens of NORTHERN FULMARS
      (including one apparently sick bird among the rocks on the north side of
      the Point), and two immature BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES. We also saw one
      SABINE'S GULL flying north, a late HEERMANN'S GULL, and a PEREGRINE
      FALCON scaring up flocks of phalaropes out over the ocean. Of note were
      the impressive number of loons moving south. During one representative
      15 minute period I counted 611 loons (all pacific except for one
      red-throated).

      - Matthew Matthiessen