Calpella & the Eel

  • vishnu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2002
      Hello Mendobirders,
      Today - Sunday 11/17 - at 10:00 am a MERLIN with avian prey (species
      unknown) in its talons flew across lovely downtown Calpella and lit on the
      top of a telephone pole where it remained long enough for me to locate my
      binoculars before continuing on to a nearby oak for its brunch.

      Then between 1:00 -3:00 pm at the foot of the Skinnydip Trail (no snickering
      please, this IS the officially designated name assigned to this trail by the
      U.S. Forest Service) I was fortunate to locate a CANYON WREN sought
      unsucessfully in the same location yesterday by members of the Peregrine
      Audubon Covelo fieldtrip. A very beautiful bird; calling a lot, though not
      actually singing.
      Also of note - the buff-rumped skinnydippers having all migrated for the
      season to their respective hot tubs - were two true AMERICAN DIPPERS flying
      up and down the Eel River canyon and one of which stopped for a leisurely
      bath in the shallows of a clear pool also occupied by a number of large
      spawning salmonids some of them fanning the gravels to prepare their nests.
      Another good day.

      Vishnu