Possible (Probable?) Philadelphia Vireo

  • Rich T
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2011
      Point Arena

      This morning at 11a while birding Miner Hole Road with Fritz Steurer there was a possible PHILADELPHIA VIREO about 1/4 mile in from Highway 1. The bird was loosely associating with a small flock of CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES and a WARBLING VIREO on the north side of the road. This bird a distinctively darker cap, shorter bill and 'funky' looking white features around the eye. Looks were not good enough to quantify the dark line through the lores.

      Here is a very useful link from Don Roberson (Monterey County birding guru): http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/ID-WAVIvPHVI.html

      Anyone who has a chance to look for this bird should try to re-find it as this would be a Mendocino County first. I will try to re-find it next time I'm out and, perhaps, try to get a photo although it was not very cooperative even for viewing.

      Good Birding,

      Rich Trissel
      Gualala