Calliope Hummingbird in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2001
      Sun, 15 Apr 2001, 15:30 -- A male CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD has been coming to a
      feeder at my house for the last few minutes. There is a great flurry of
      hummingbird activity today, maybe 10 Rufous and 6 Anna's; the Rufous are so
      numerous that the male Anna's can't chase them away. The Calliope sneaks
      in among the Rufous. There may be a female too.
      This is a seldom-seen species in Mendocino County; I haven't had
      one here since 1985. There's no pattern yet, but you're welcome to come and
      watch for it. I'm putting out a few lawn chairs and benches. 9430 West
      Road, Potter Valley, the driveway is right across from milemarker 1.33.

      George Chaniot 743-1310