Lake Mendocino

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
      Mon, 05 Sep 2011 -- This afternoon there were two FORSTER'S TERNS flying
      around Lake Mendocino and diving into the waters. They circulated around
      the north half of the lake and could probably be seen from any good vantage
      point. I saw them from the Mesa Day-Use Area. Not much else was present due
      to the high degree of boat activity.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2011
        Fri, 11 Nov 2011 -- I did a complete survey of Lake Mendocino today.
        Western/Clake's Grebes topped the list with about 622 birds. American Coots
        were next with 353, and there was an unusual number of Double-crested
        Cormorants, 182. Of particular interest was a first-winter THAYER'S GULL at
        the south marina, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and a SNOW GOOSE at the Oak
        Grove Parking Lot, and some COMMON GOLDENEYES near the boat-in campground.
        On the return trip to Potter Valley I found, alas, a roadkilled
        RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW along Potter Valley Road.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17, 2014
          Mon, 11 Aug 2014 -- At the north end of Lake Mendocino more mudflats are
          opening up as the lake level drops. This morning there was a flock of about
          130 shorebirds - mostly Western Sandpipers, a few Least Sandpipers and two
          WILSON'S PHALAROPES.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA