Bobolink at Little River Airport

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2011
      Sat Sep 3, 2011--This morning at about 10:45 AM there was a BOBOLINK at the west end of the Little River Airport. I heard a strange Blackbird like sound and then saw a yellowish bird fly out of the grass with a "pick" alarm call and headed to the east end of the airport. The airport must be on a Bobolink flyway. Last year on 10/2/2010 I found a Bobolink at the same exact location. Maybe this is a "returning" Bobolink.

      Knowing that Karen Havlena needed a Mendocino Bobolink I gave her a call and provided the details. I didn't have much hope for her seeing the bird. I went on my birding way and sometime after 12 noon I came by the spot again and up flew the Bobolink into the top of a nice green bush. Gave Karen a call and told her that I was looking at the bird. She had arrived at the airport by then. The bird remained in the bush until Karen walked the remaining half mile to add the Bobolink to her list.

      We saw some interesting interaction with a Barn Swallow and the Bobolink. They must not get along to well with the Bobolink giving chase to the swallow. We left the area with the Bobolink going back to the grassy area.

      Last year's bird stayed for two days. There was speculation that that was because of some fogged in nights.

      If you want to look for it, go to the terminal area of the airport on Little River Airport Rd. Park to the right and walk out to the taxiway and head west. At the end of the taxiway there is a grassy area (the grass is tall this year). Walk through the grass and you might have a Bobolink fly up. It likes the larger bushes looking left beyond the grass.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • Arthur Morley
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2011
        Monday Sept. 5. Yesterday, Sunday, I saw the Bobolink three times at the Little River Airport. It was in the area reported by Richard, in the grassy areas at the marked end of the taxiway. The sightings were between 11:30 and 12:00. The bird flew from the grass west of the taxiway east into the grass between the taxiway and the runway where there is a storm drain grate. It then flew back west and then into some thick bushes toward the west and wasn't seen again.

        Art Morley
        Fort Bragg