Forster's Tern

  • birdmanofthewoods3
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2011
      A lovely, delicate Forster's tern was hanging out on a log at the little lagoon at the end of Little River in Van Damme beach this afternoon. Seemed to be in transitional plummage between breeding and nonbreeding plumage with just a little bit of red in the bill, but mostly nonbreeding plumage. I think the thick fog knocked it down and I got a great look as it rested and waited for the fog to lift.

      Rick Harris
    • birdmanofthewoods3
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2011
        Forster's tern still sticking around at Little River cove fishing actively at the northeast end with many spectacular plunge dives and coming up with fish. That particular spot seems to be a great fishing spot for sea birds and frequently yeilds something interesting. I think bait fish seem to get confused and concentrate there.

        I know the Forster's tern isn't something super rare, but rare enough around here for me at least and such an elegant and attractive bird if there ever was one. Has moved to the top of my favorite sea bird list.

        Rick Harris