Two Red Knots & Others at Virgin Ck Beach 9/1/11

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      1 Sept 2011 -- Just after high tide I found 2 imm RED KNOTS at a small
      lagoon north of the main beach at Virgin Creek.  I had a nice assortment
      of species, including RUDDY TURNSTONE, 4 MARBLED GODWITS, a
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE and a GREATER YELLOWLEGS.  A
      LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER and a few SHORT-BILLIED DOWITCHERS
      were also in attendance.  I did not see the Snowy Plover that had been
      there for a couple of weeks.

      I saw Richard Hubacek about the time about 27 school kids and 2 teachers
      descended on the beach (a few boys ran all over).  I was afraid that I would
      see only a few shorebirds, but the kids left in a very, short period of time.
      So, it was a pleasant surprise to see so many species.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, California