Bank Swallows in Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2011
      Yesterday afternoon (1:30-4:00 pm) I picked out a BANK SWALLOW on four occasions in a flock of perhaps a thousand swallows perched at the edge of the first long point of tules southeast of Lakeport (the point between Manning Creek and Rumsey Slough). I took photos of "the bird" on three occasions and subsequent scrutiny of the photos revealed three different birds! There are only a few previous records from the county.

      Unfortunately the site is accessible only by boat. Last year large flocks of swallows often perched on the tules at the point, so it may be an annual event at this time of the year. If you're seriously interested in chasing them (I suspect they'll be sticking around the area for a while) and don't have your own boat, you should be able to rent a kayak or some other boat at Disney Sports Rentals in Lakeport and launch it from Library Park.

      I also photographed a weird swallow whose identity I was uncertain of, and posted some photos here:

      www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.278559485492483.89112.100000153002720&l=4b520262c3&type=1

      Have fun trying to identify it yourself before reading the comments and conclusion.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA