Snow Bunting

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
      14 Nov. 2002 At 0845 I refound the Snow Bunting at Laguna Point,
      MacKerricher State Park. It was feeding on the northside of the boardwalk,
      sometimes in the rather tall grass, but sometimes coming out onto the open
      trail. Another birder, Peter White, had just been viewing the bird
      also. I viewed the bird for about 10 minutes when it flew to the highest
      post on the observation platform. I was able to get several photos while
      it fluffed its feathers, exercised its wings, and made a couple of
      chattering calls. After about one minute on the post it lifted its wings
      and headed south. It seemed to drop back onto the coastal bench about
      half-way to Virgin Creek Beach ... maybe about 1/8th to 1/4 mile south of
      the observation platform. I don't know if it will be back to the
      boardwalk area!

      I could NOT locate the Lapland Longspur after an hour of searching. I
      also could NOT refind the Chestnut-collared Longspur at Mendocino Headlands.

      Three Harlequin Ducks were close to the shore 100 yards south of the
      viewing platform. Two Red-necked Grebes were at the end of Ward Avenue
      (north of Mill Creek Street).

      For those of you who saw the Snow bunting please submit observation records
      to me before the end of the month for the fall period report. This is a
      CBRC review species so notes/photos are important. Thanks. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
    • Bob Keiffer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
        Saturday - 20 October 2007 - Dave and Sarah (last names unknown), a couple of new birders on the Mendocino Coast, found a winter male Snow Bunting at MacKerricher State Park this morning. "Toby" Tobkin confirmed the sighting at 12:15 pm today... and the bird was at the same place as described to her. From the "south" parking lot at Mackerricher ...this is the one just a short ways north of Pudding Creek, one takes the "southern" path that leads towards the "tip of land" ...the bird was at the far end of the main walk trail. Reported for Toby Tobkin by Bob Keiffer. This is a CBRC "Review" species ....so please take descriptive notes, sketches, photos if possible. Good birding.

      • richhubie
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
          The Snow Bunting was still in the same location as described at 3:00PM
          this afternoon. Pictures to be posted shortly.

          Richard Hubacek