Elegant Terns

  • Joleen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2011
      Thursday, July 28th half the length of Ten Mile to the North, I spotted two Elegant Terns among the gulls at the shoreline. One was mature, the other traveling partner a juvenile. The young tern had a bald (white) head with a black ring around the base. Its legs had already turned a darker color but the bill was shorter and a more pale shade of orange. The juvenile was smaller than the adult and actually made chick sounding calls. This was definitely the highlight of my survey.
    • Lisa Walker (Feather)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2013
        Two Elegant Terns flew over my house in south Fort Bragg moments ago, calling to each other..... just keyed them out by their calls according to what I heard on the Cornell Labs Bird Sounds page.

        Feather (Lisa)
      • joleen.ossello
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2014
          8/24/14 3:40pm 20+ Elegant Terns on Mendocino Bay among kelp bed behind Ford House. Their ratchety sound caught my attention. Joleen O. Mendocino