Red Knot and another Semipalmated Sandpiper at Virgin Creek

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2011
      Fri Jul 29, 2011-- This morning, Toby joined me on my SOS Survey. We were talking about SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS when she said, "there's one now". This bird was generally in the creek west of the bridge. We both agreed that it was a differert bird from the one I found last week. Overall the feathering was much more crisp then that bird. Later after walking over and around the first rock cropping north of the creek I spotted a very red RED KNOT feeding next to a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER. The Knot was found later on the main beach in the water line but was chased back north of the rocks by a jogger. Peeps were in short supply but there were large numbers of TURNSTONES(5 RUDDY'S), SURFBIRDS, WHIMBELS, and 2 WILLETS.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River