Snow Bunting and Friends - 11/13

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2002
      This afternoon Vishnu, George Chaniot, and I relocated the basic female
      SNOW BUNTING that has been at Laguna Point the past couple days. The
      bird was in the bare area on the south side of the boardwalk a few feet
      before the observation platform. We first located the bird at about
      1430 and watched it for an hour as it foraged out in the open.
      Eventually the bird hopped up onto the boardwalk itself and then worked
      the taller grass on the north side of the boardwalk for a few minutes
      before returning to the bare area on the south side. Finally the bird
      flew up onto the observation platform where it perched momentarily
      before flying down to the rocks and out of sight.

      Also in the same area as the Snow Bunting was a first basic male LAPLAND
      LONGSPUR. Although this bird spent some time in the bare area it seemed
      to prefer the slightly taller grass just before the bare area (in
      particular the trails next to the boardwalk).

      After Laguna Point we visited the Mendocino Headlands where we were
      joined by Jerry White. After about five minutes of walking through the
      grass we refound the first basic female CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR
      reported yesterday by Chuck Vaughn and Bob Keiffer. This bird was
      within a few feet of the bluff edge about 200 feet south of the sister
      city monument. Eventually it flew about a hundred feet in from the
      bluff but always stayed in the taller grass and wouldn't flush till
      nearly stepped on. We observed this bird from 1600 to 1630.

      Good Birding (it certainly was today).

      - Matthew Matthiessen