Lake County June 15th and 16th

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2011
      On Wednesday I heard a BLACK-CHINNED SPARROW near Indian Valley Reservoir at about 7:30 AM. The bird was found about four tenths of a mile from the Walker Ridge Road intersection on the road that goes down to the Indian Valley Dam. I then drove north along Walker Ridge Road and encountered 4 flocks of LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHS. They were seen in both Lake and Colusa Counties. They were feeding alongside the road in different areas where the brush had been cut back. The largest flock had maybe 45 to 50 birds. This was about 11.1 miles from Highway 20. On Thursday I drove back by the same area. This time I saw only the one large flock in the same location.
      Wednesday night I did some owling in the Snow Mountain area. At about 10:30 PM I found (heard and saw) a FLAMMULATED OWL at the large intersection of M10, 17N29 and the road to the Summit Springs Trailhead. The bird was at first in Colusa County but moved into Lake County a couple of times.
      Of interest to those who know the area; the Summit Springs Trailhead road is closed because of landslides.

      Interesting mammal sightings included 3 California Kangaroo Rats. Also prior to this trip I had never seen a MOUNTAIN LION, but now have 2 sightings. On Wednesday at around 7 AM on the Indian Valley Dam road I saw (only saw its back and tail) one disappear into the brush. There was a Spotted Towhee perched up above it looking down and giving alarm calls.I chose not to try and get a better look.
      Then on Thursday morning at a little after 7AM as I was driving down out of the mountains in Colusa County on M10 another Cougar had just jumped onto the road. When it saw my vehicle it turned and in one leap it was on top of the steep 10-12 foot embankment and gone. Jerry White