Covelo Area

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2011
      Wed, 08 Jun 2011 -- On Wednesday Chuck Vaughn and I conducted his Breeding
      Bird Survey along the road to Covelo. We saw several WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS
      near Dos Rios at the bridge over the Middle Fork Eel River and a little ways
      upstream. This area and the nearby bridge at Dos Rios are probably the most
      reliable place in Mendocino Co. to find this species.
      We did not find Grasshopper Sparrows this year near 162 x Fairbanks
      Road, and, after the survey, we continued on to the Eel River Work Station.
      At one stop along Road 338 we heard and saw a CANYON WREN on the far side of
      the Middle Fork near a prominent group of rocks. This was near milemarker
      6.6 about 0.7 mi west of the Middle Fork bridge near the work station.
      Next we continued north on Forest Service road M1. We were told that
      the road is open to the end, and a slide near Howard Lake has been repaired.
      We forded Howard Creek but could not drive to Howard Lake due to downed
      trees. Along the road there were HERMIT WARBLERS and NASHVILLE WARBLERS
      singing along with Black-throated Gray Warblers and Audubon's Y-r Warblers.
      At tiny Hammerhorn Lake we found two LINCOLN'S SPARROWS singing from the
      patches of bulrushes along the shore.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA