Snow Bunting

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2002
      11 Nov 2002 - I received this message from Richard Gage. If somebody re
      finds this bird please call me at 707-744-1160 (hm) or 707-391-8190 (cell)
      or 707-744-1424 (wk). please!

      I got a good look at a solitary snow bunting at the Laguna Point seal
      observation deck at Mackerricher State Park this afternoon at about 1:30 pm
      on Nov. 11th.
      The bird was strolling about on the bare ground next to the observation
      deck and gave me a great look. It was not shy at all and came within about
      7 feet of me. I also got to observe it for some time, as it stuck around
      for about 10 minutes. I was able to see the bird from all angles and was
      able to make a detailed observation both through binoculars and with the
      naked eye. A passing pedestrian eventually startled the bird and it flew
      off northwards for about 100 feet before settling somewhere I couldn't see.
      I had a cheap disposable camera handy and snapped several shots but I am
      not overly optimistic that any of the pictures will be very good.
      Thanks,
      Richard Gage

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2002
        As soon as I read this, I headed out to MacKerricher, where I ran into
        Toby Tobkins. We headed out together towards the deck. The bird is there
        -SNOW BUNTING, possible juvenile or female in winter plumage.

        just before the observation deck, it is taking shelter in the logs on
        the left (south) side of the boardwalk. It allowed me to approach and I
        had my digital camera, but the setting was off, so the photos I did get
        are so blurry you cannot make out a decent image of the bird. So, I will
        go later and try again, when the rain lets up a bit.

        MacKerricher is north of Fort Bragg on Highway One about three miles or
        so. Turn left at the park entrance or on Mill Creek Drive, just north of
        the entrance and across from Ricochet Ridge Ranch (horse stables). Go
        all the way to the parking area past the bridge.

        Also of note was a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER on the bluffs at the north side
        of the parking area, hanging around a Killdeer. Toby said it was unusual
        to see one on the grassy part, that they usually prefer the sand and rocks.

        The Snow Bunting is a lifer for me.

        Feather

        Robert J. Keiffer wrote:

        >11 Nov 2002 - I received this message from Richard Gage. If somebody re
        >finds this bird please call me at 707-744-1160 (hm) or 707-391-8190 (cell)
        >or 707-744-1424 (wk). please!
        >
        >I got a good look at a solitary snow bunting at the Laguna Point seal
        >observation deck at Mackerricher State Park this afternoon at about 1:30 pm
        >on Nov. 11th.
        >The bird was strolling about on the bare ground next to the observation
        >deck and gave me a great look. It was not shy at all and came within about
        >7 feet of me. I also got to observe it for some time, as it stuck around
        >for about 10 minutes. I was able to see the bird from all angles and was
        >able to make a detailed observation both through binoculars and with the
        >naked eye. A passing pedestrian eventually startled the bird and it flew
        >off northwards for about 100 feet before settling somewhere I couldn't see.
        >I had a cheap disposable camera handy and snapped several shots but I am
        >not overly optimistic that any of the pictures will be very good.
        >Thanks,
        >Richard Gage
        >

        >Robert J. Keiffer
        >Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        >UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        >4070 University Road
        >Hopland, CA 95449
        >(707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
        >HREC website: http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html

        "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
        <:))))><
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Forestwalker Productions

        Bird Cards, Bird Drawings - Education in Art!

        http://home.onemain.com/~featherf

        Proceeds help in the rehabilitation and return to the wild, of our feathered friends on the northern Calfornia coast.
      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2002
          14 Nov. 2002 At 0845 I refound the Snow Bunting at Laguna Point,
          MacKerricher State Park. It was feeding on the northside of the boardwalk,
          sometimes in the rather tall grass, but sometimes coming out onto the open
          trail. Another birder, Peter White, had just been viewing the bird
          also. I viewed the bird for about 10 minutes when it flew to the highest
          post on the observation platform. I was able to get several photos while
          it fluffed its feathers, exercised its wings, and made a couple of
          chattering calls. After about one minute on the post it lifted its wings
          and headed south. It seemed to drop back onto the coastal bench about
          half-way to Virgin Creek Beach ... maybe about 1/8th to 1/4 mile south of
          the observation platform. I don't know if it will be back to the
          boardwalk area!

          I could NOT locate the Lapland Longspur after an hour of searching. I
          also could NOT refind the Chestnut-collared Longspur at Mendocino Headlands.

          Three Harlequin Ducks were close to the shore 100 yards south of the
          viewing platform. Two Red-necked Grebes were at the end of Ward Avenue
          (north of Mill Creek Street).

          For those of you who saw the Snow bunting please submit observation records
          to me before the end of the month for the fall period report. This is a
          CBRC review species so notes/photos are important. Thanks. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
        • Bob Keiffer
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
            Saturday - 20 October 2007 - Dave and Sarah (last names unknown), a couple of new birders on the Mendocino Coast, found a winter male Snow Bunting at MacKerricher State Park this morning. "Toby" Tobkin confirmed the sighting at 12:15 pm today... and the bird was at the same place as described to her. From the "south" parking lot at Mackerricher ...this is the one just a short ways north of Pudding Creek, one takes the "southern" path that leads towards the "tip of land" ...the bird was at the far end of the main walk trail. Reported for Toby Tobkin by Bob Keiffer. This is a CBRC "Review" species ....so please take descriptive notes, sketches, photos if possible. Good birding.

          • richhubie
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
              The Snow Bunting was still in the same location as described at 3:00PM
              this afternoon. Pictures to be posted shortly.

              Richard Hubacek