Common Loon

  • rbharris11
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2011
      A lot happening today at the Laguna cove in MacKerricher State Park. I noticed a bunch of sea lions and harbor seals working a huge ball of fish not far off shore. This attracted all the usual diving birds the highlight of which was a single common loon in mating plumage. A big deal for me. The schools of fish were so large you could see them as dark masses under the waves. This is good.

      Also seen: Lots of shorebirds working the sand along the cove which was a little unusual given the habitat. Wimbrel, black turnstones, 3 semi-palmated plovers and a flock of small unidentified peeps, oyster catchers, et. al. All working the upper tide wrack for...something. I got the feeling that a large number of hungry shorebirds are passing through at the moment. Might be a good time for you shorebird watchers to venture out.

      Rick Harris