Eastern Visitor?

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      How likely is this?

      This afternoon after I got out of a board meeting, I noticed first, the
      calls of a Northern Mockingbird from behind me. I located him, sitting
      atop a large shrub in the yard behind the house which used to be the
      church parsonage. (First Baptist Church - corner of Pine and Franklin
      Streets in Fort Bragg).

      Then movement caught my eye across the street. A jay-sized black and
      white bird was sitting on a wire above a yard. I watched him because he
      sort of reminded me of a Black Phoebe, except #1, he was much larger
      than a Black Phoebe, and #2, he didn't have black extending all the way
      down to the breast. His breast was white with a grayish tinge, and I
      couldn't tell if that was shadow or not. His tail was longer when
      compared to a Black Phoebe, too. He had a solid black head and a dark
      back and tail, with white on the outer edges of the tail and a white
      terminal band at the tip. He flew like a flycather, acted like a
      flycatcher, but his coloration and size were unlike any of our
      kingbirds, phoebes or tyrant flycatchers of other species - there was
      not one speck of yellow on this bird, the head was solid black. When I
      got a chance to look him up, the ONLY bird that came even CLOSE was an
      Eastern Kingbird. *sigh* How likely IS that?

      LOCATION: 500 block of North Franklin Street, two houses down from Dr.
      Lambeth/Kremen's dental office, and two houses up from the insurance
      office. It was on a wire behind the house and sighted around 4:00 PM.

      Thanks for any help - if you see this bird, please let me know what YOU
      think it is?

      Feather

      "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
      <:))))><

      Forestwalker Productions

      Bird Cards, Bird Drawings - Education in Art!

      http://home.onemain.com/~featherf

      Proceeds help in the rehabilitation and return to the wild, of our feathered friends on the northern Calfornia coast.