Black-chinned Hummingbird

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011
      1 May 2011 - Sunday - Scott Harris reported (with photos) a male Black-chinned Hummingbird from his feeder at Brooktrails/Willits. The bird showed up briefly at the feeder at around 5:45 PM and was there for only a short while. Scott kept a vigilant eye throughout Monday, and I and Ollie Kolkmann visited for about an hour yesterday evening at the same time period in hopes of a return, but the bird did not show. If the bird reappears, I will work with Scott to see if viewings can be arranged. However, for now it looks like Sunday was a one-time short stopover for the bird.

      Pay close attention to your hummingbird feeders now as many migrants such as Rufous, Allen's, and a few Calliope are moving through. It is a very short window of time that this spring migration of hummers occurs in Lake and Mendocino Counties. If one is extremely lucky a rarity like Black-chinned or Costa's may show up. Please report any Calliope, Costa's, or Black-chinned Hummingbirds ASAP.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer